Introduction Post

Hi everyone, my name is Emily, and I am in my 5th and final year here at U of M Dearborn. I like to jokingly say that I am a "super senior," but slow and steady wins the race, I am in no hurry to graduate. I am a psychology major and a part of the psychology honors program, and hope to go to graduate school for research in some field of psychology. I haven't decided quite yet, but I thoroughly enjoy neuroscience so it is likely I'll probably end up in that field. I am currently working on my honors thesis and am a part of a social neuroscience lab here on campus as well. Some of you may wonder why I am just now taking comp 106, and I have no real reason for why I waited until now. I simply left it for the end of my schooling instead of taking it in the beginning. Regardless, I look forward to the semester, it may honestly feel like a breath of fresh air to step away from the 300-400 level courses I am so used to.

Outside of school, I also work. Somehow, I managed to land a job that I enjoy immensely as it directly aligns with one of my interests: horses. I work for Greenfield Village as a carriage driver. It beats working retail or food service, both of which I have done in the past with my most recent job before The Village being a paint associate with Home Depot for 2 years. As of now, in my short time there, I have learned so much about history and American innovation, as well as about all different people from all different walks of life. The job isn't only about the horses for me, it is also about the people, and being that I am a psychology minded person - it is perfect. In addition to this, I also coach Holly High School's senior equestrian team with my friend, and we are right in the middle of our season currently. In fact, our next meet is tomorrow, and we are currently sitting in first place out of our division's teams! It really is rewarding to work in the field that is associated with your passion. Even though I am ALWAYS extremely busy, I almost never feel incredibly stressed.

In my home life, I enjoy art. I love to draw, paint, color in books meant for an older audience (meaning, more intricate designs to color), etc. I am taking intermediate painting for the second time this semester, and should complete an art minor by graduation. Art is my escape. It is how I relax my mind and really allow myself to release tension. I can remember the first time I ever made art, having been given a box of crayons and computer paper at the young age of two, maybe three. I grabbed a fistful of random colors, and just scribbled on the piece of paper... probably resulting in something that could hardly be called "art." But ever since, I've never been without the supplies to create and have expanded into other crafts such as candlemaking, soapmaking, and sewing. I am highly creative, and hope to bring some of this creativity with me into this class through my assignments.

With all of this said, I hope to learn a lot through this class and I look forward to the semester!



Comments

Popular Posts